Fat loss isn’t about calories in and calories out like most people think. It’s regulated by hormones, namely insulin – this is why you often run into a plateau regardless of how much you might exercise or limit consumption (which is unhealthy).
I’ve been researching health and nutrition for a few years now and lost 60+lbs myself 3 years ago and managed to keep it off since (which is the hard part).
This is the best way of eating I’ve found after years of research and experimentation. It eliminates the common systemic inflammation everyone walks around with and doesn’t notice until it manifests itself as a more serious health issue. Also, its delicious. Energy levels and clarity skyrocket and most importantly it balances insulin levels so your body DOESN’T STORE FAT!
Here’s the link to the Bulletproof diet with an illustrated guide along with reasoning & research:
Here the summary:
14 Steps To Eating The Bulletproof Diet
1. Eliminate sugar (including fruit juices and sports drinks that contain HFCS, honey, and agave) .
3. Eliminate gluten in any shape or form. This includes bread, cereal, and pasta. Do not make the mistake of resorting to gluten free junk food, which can be almost as bad.
4. Remove grains, grain derived oils, and vegetable oils such as corn, soy, and canola. Also remove unstable polyunsaturated oils such as walnut, flax, and peanut oil.
5. Eliminate all synthetic additives, colorings, and flavorings. This includes aspartame, MSG, dyes, and artificial flavorings.
6. Eat significant amounts of pastured, grass-fed meat from big ruminant animals such as beef, lamb, and bison. Pair this with fish, eggs, and shellfish.
7. Eliminate legumes such as peanuts, beans, and lentils. If you must have your beans, soak, sprout (or ferment), and cook them.
8. Remove all processed, homogenized, and pasteurized dairy. High fat items can be pasteurized, but they should be grass-fed. Full fat, raw, whole dairy from grass-fed cows is okay for most people.
9. Switch to grass-fed meat and wild caught seafood. Eat pastured eggs and some pork, chickens, turkeys, and ducks.
10. Switch to organic fruits and vegetables. This is more important for some plants than others. See this site for details.
11. Cook your food gently, if at all. Incorporate water into your cooking whenever possible and use low temperatures. Do not use a microwave or fry.
12. Limit fruit consumption to 1-2 servings per day. Favor low fructose containing fruits like berries and lemons over watermelon and apples.
13. Add spices and other flavorings from the Bulletproof Diet. Favor herb based spices such as thyme and rosemary over powders. Use high quality ones, recently opened.
14. Enjoy your food.
- If you have to have some form of cheat/junk/fake food, have it, and don’t act like you’re “off the wagon”. The more you venture from the Bulletproof Diet, the less you’ll benefit. The more you stick to the Bulletproof Diet, well, the more Bulletproof you’ll be. Small variations are fine and do not constitute failure.
- If you experience allergies, acne, or other negative effects after consuming dairy, switch to ghee as your only dairy, and eat coconut oil and animal fat.
- Do not count calories in an attempt to lose weight. Eat until satiety and then stop.
- Try not to snack. Bulletproof intermittent fasting is encouraged, though not mandatory.
- Limit fruit consumption to 1-2 servings per day to avoid high triglycerides. There are other reasons to limit fruit consumption, but it won’t kill you.
- High healthy fat intake is optimal. General ranges are 50-80 percent fat, 5-30 percent carbohydrate, and 10-30 percent protein.
- Eat as little polyunsaturated fat as you can. Supplement with fish oil or krill oil if you don’t consume fatty cold water fish like salmon on a weekly basis.
- If you can’t find grass-fed meat, choose the leanest cuts of grain-fed meat possible. If you can find grass-fed meat – choose the fattiest cuts possible.
- “I don’t have time” is not an excuse. Nourishing your mind and body is not optional. Anyone can make soft boiled eggs and Bulletproof Coffee.